December 10, 2012

Happy Homemaker Monday December 10


Good morning everyone! I woke up this morning after 4 1/2 hours of sleep (not because I could not sleep, but because that was all the time I had) right when I was dreaming that I had to eat spaghetti with maple syrup. Guess what we watched last night.

Thanks to Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom for hosting Happy Homemaker Monday. See her blog for more posts.

The Weather
We are getting rain which brings cloudy skies and fog. We live in the clouds here in my little town. The positive side of all of this grayness is that the tree lights came on first thing this morning and are brightening up my house. Today should hit 60, but the rest of the week will be in the forties - but not freezing, which means we don't have to worry about slippery roads. Very important as there will be a LOT of driving this week getting ready for Christmas.

Right Now
My 19 year old and I are eating M&Ms - at 10 am. Tis the season.

Thinking
That I have done well keeping on task so far today, and hoping I can keep it up. I have to work tomorrow so I have lots on my agenda for today. So far I have taught seminary, driven to the high school TWICE (thanks to my 14 year old forgetting his saxophone). And don't talk to me about natural consequences, because his concert is tomorrow night so it is pretty important that he has his instrument today, AND, he is a pretty amazing kid and very responsible and I do make him get up at 4:45 every morning and leave the house at 5:45 to go to seminary before school, so I cut him some slack.

On My Reading Pile
We are starting the last week of the Savior's life in seminary, so we will be all over the four gospels of the New Testament. I've also started The Grapes of Wrath because my daughter has to read it for AP Language and I told her I would read it with her. She, however, had to read 150 pages over the weekend. I got through 3 chapters. (psst, I cannot wait to get my Kindle Fire from Santa!)

On My TV
In case you couldn't guess, we watched Elf last night. The only other thing was the last two episodes of Glee.

On the Menu
I actually did it!

Monday chili with rice
Tuesday chicken soup, rolls
Wednesday beef goulash, salad, garlic bread
Thursday grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup
Friday Adobo chicken, mashed potatoes, zucchini, salad
Saturday church Christmas party - potluck - don't know what I am going to bring yet
Sunday painting in-laws' basement, so dinner is on them (I might be staying home and baking cookies though)

Notice the simplicity of the menu - our schedule demands it!

On My To Do List
Are you ready? Strap yourselves in, you are going for a ride! Shower, chocolate factory for my husband's employee gifts and stocking stuffers, the mall for gifts for the giving tree at church, my mom who refuses to give me any ideas, and a little something more for my daughter, the post office for stamps for Christmas cards (and bills!), the pharmacy to fill a prescription for my son, the warehouse club and two grocery stores, unload everything and sort through the gifts and determine what else is needed, make cookies, make chili, pick up foster son after swimming, eat dinner, bring 14 year old son to piano, prepare seminary lesson and two more loads of laundry.

Tomorrow I have a job 45 minutes away, a parent's meeting at the high school for swim team, dinner, get my 14 year old to school early for band concert, get rest of family to school to watch concert.

I won't tell you about the rest of the week, but these are the two worst days.

What I am Creating
A lot of lists!

Homemaking Tips
 I have switched to a homemade (well, really home mixed) laundry detergent. You can find the particular recipe I have been using here. I have also switched to using white vinegar in place of softener. I have a front loading washing machine and have a problem with mildew growing on the gasket even though I leave the door open after every use. The trouble is the animal fats in commercial laundry products - the fat clings to the gasket and keeps it moist. Commercial products are also really expensive and I do a LOT of laundry. I am loving the homemade detergent and white vinegar. My clothes feel so soft coming out of the washer. Oh, and I have also started using wool dryer balls thanks to Sandra's post on how to make them. I do have a problem with static electricity during the winter though, so I may have to add a dryer sheet to keep that under control. I highly recommend getting away from the commercial products though. They are so costly and contain unnecessary ingredients - like animal fat!

From the Camera
This was last night's activity:


On My Prayer List
My kids, dad (who is having a cat scan on Tuesday to see how badly the cancer is progressing), and others.

Bible Verse
What we studied today: 

 "...I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live"  John 11:25

Just at the time of year when we are celebrating the birth of our Savior, my seminary class will be studying his death, and yet, with his death comes the promise of a greater life, the promise of life even after death, and the promise of the ability to overcome anything when we turn to Him that overcame everything.

Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy looking menu, you may call it simple but I think it's filled with delicious easy meals :)

    Goodness I'm tired just reading your to do list, especially since mine is non existent today LOL

    Hope you have a great week. Sent prayers up for your dad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very busy week ahead!

    Grilled cheese with tomato soup is one of our favorites, and so tasty and filling on cold days. Not to mention an easy fix for the days we have an endless list of to-do's. LOL.

    Prayers are with your father and your family, and good luck to your son during his concert!

    ReplyDelete