December 24, 2012

Happy Homemaker Monday December 24!


Good morning and merry Christmas! In my house we are upset that the leap year robbed us of a Sunday Christmas Eve, because Sunday worship is the best way to start off the Christmas celebration. Regardless, it is here and we are excited! I do not know if Sandra will hold this meme today, but just in case (and since no one else is up yet) here is my Happy Homemaker Monday post. 

The Weather
Right now it is cool (28 degrees) but sunny. And tonight, we are supposed to get snow! Wohoo! I don't know if there is supposed to be any accumulation, and unfortunately it is supposed to turn to sleet and freezing rain, but not until about 2 in the morning, ending about 10 am Christmas morning. I can live with that. Hopefully by 2 am we will be nestled snug in our beds. 

Right Now
My oven is warming up in anticipation of baking some cookies. Christmas music is playing, my tree lights are on, my house is clean, my laundry caught up, all of the presents are wrapped but one (I am giving my husband my Kindle since Santa is bringing me the Kindle Fire, and I don't want to wrap it until the last minute because I don't want to give it up. It's okay to write this on here because he never goes on the internet for pleasure, unless it is to listen to 80's songs on you tube.), and the kids are all still in bed. Life is good.

Thinking
About the greatest gift of all, our Savior, Jesus Christ, and how grateful I am that I know Him. I certainly need to know him a lot better than I do, but I DO know Him. I am so grateful for His life, His teachings, His example, His atoning sacrifice, and for the scriptures that teach us about Him. I am grateful for the peace that comes from knowing He is in charge. I am grateful that He is my friend, and that He forgives me and welcomes me back whenever I stray.

On My Reading Pile
A friend lent me Tangled Roots by G. G. Vandagriff. Hoping I might be able to read it over the holiday break.

On My TV
We watched The Homecoming last night and Mrs. Santa Claus earlier this week. I want to start Jesus of Nazareth this week.

On the Menu
We are getting German food tonight! My sister's husband's mother was German, so my sister and brother in-law are making beef rouladen and spaetzle. I cannot wait! My sister is a great cook. We are also having cheesy potato casserole and salad. For dessert: apple pie, chocolate chip cookies and brownies.

Tomorrow we are having ham with mashed and sweet potatoes, and I don't know what else.

Wednesday - I think a nice big salad? Something light, that is for sure. I am thinking about trying prime rib on New Year's day. I have never made it before, but I found great instructions for it on the web. Will let you know if I do and how it turns out.

On My To Do List
In order: bake cookies, clean up kitchen, take shower, have kids put stuff away, pack up presents, head over to my sister's early to help out.

What I am Creating
Cookies!

Homemaking Tips
This isn't a homemaking tip, but it is a quality of life tip. Yesterday my husband gave me an early Christmas present - it was a remote control kit. It came with three receivers that you can plug into a wall outlet. Each receiver has two of its own outlets that you can plug your Christmas tree or anything else into. Then there is a remote turn the outlet on and off. No more trying to get behind the tree to plug the light in. Last year we used an outlet strip, but even that got buried under the gifts and became harder to access. He paid about $15 for it and got it at Lowe's. It is the best thing ever.

From the Camera

Some of what will be piled under the tree.


On My Prayer List
My kids, family, all those affected by the Newtown shooting.

Bible Verse
"For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace."

Isaiah 9:6

Have a blessed Christmas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment