January 14, 2014

New England Chuck Roast




This was really good. I loved the gravy, and I love a recipe that teaches me how to make an easy but tasty gravy. The gravy is so good, I could eat it with a spoon!

1 3lb chuck roast
1 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 onion, sliced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 celery stalk, cut into 8 pieces
1 bay leaf
1 T vinegar (used apple cider vinegar)
2 C water
1/2 small cabbage, cut into wedges
3 T butter
1 T instant minced onion
2 T flour
2 T prepared horseradish
@ 1 t gravy master

  • sprinkle meat with 1/2 t salt and pepper
  • place onion, carrots, and celery in slow cooker
  • place meat on top of vegetables
  • add water, bay leaf, and vinegar
  • cook on LOW 5-7 hours (I did 7 hours)
  • remove meat
  • turn control to high, add cabbage
  • cook for 20 minutes
  • remove 1 1/2 cups of beef broth
  • melt butter in saucepan
  • stir in minced onion and flour
  • add broth, horseradish and 1/2 t salt
  • stir over low heat until thickened
I made mashed potatoes to go with the the meal and some frozen peas for those who don't like cabbage. Delicious! Must make again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment