January 11, 2016

Creamy Chicken Soup

I make chicken soup a lot. As a matter of fact, it is probably my most used recipe (other than pasta with a jar of Ragu, ahem). But every once in awhile, I change it up and make this recipe. And every time I make it, I wonder why I don't make it more often! Everyone liked it, woot!

This comes from one of my favorite cookbooks, Remedies For The "I Don't Cook" Syndrome by Janet Peterson. The only change I made was cutting back on the pepper and garlic powder. The amounts I list here are the amounts that I used.

Hearty Cream of Chicken Soup


3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used thighs because that is what I had on hand)
3 celery stalks, chopped
4 carrots, sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp sage
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp salt
2 cans cream of mushroom soup (I used cream of chicken)
2 C cooked noodles (I used a whole 12 oz. package)

Place chicken, celery, carrots, onion, herbs, and seasonings in a large soup pot. 
Cover with about 2 quarts water, bring to a boil, then cook over medium-low heat until chicken is tender (1-2 hours). My chicken was frozen so it cooked for 2 hours. I cooked the chicken alone for the first hour, then added the other ingredients so the vegetables wouldn't be too mushy.
Remove chicken and dice, then add back to the pot.
Stir in cream soup, stir until smooth.
Add cooked noodles.

It says it serves 10-12, but it fed the five of us with no leftovers, so I would cut that number in half.



No comments:

Post a Comment