August 6, 2012

Happy Homemaker Monday Aug 5th


The Weather
Highs are in the 80's today, but the humidity level is 49%, which is wonderful.  We had a lots of humidity over the weekend and it was miserable.  We do not have central air conditioning and our measly window unit could not keep up.

On My Reading Pile
Finished The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potzsch.  This has been my favorite read so far this summer.  It is not for everyone, though, as it has gruesome violence in it. I am not one for violence, but I think the way it was portrayed made it possible for me to handle.

Read The Broken Teaglass by Emily Arsenault.  This was the author's debut novel. My local library was selling it for a quarter.  I really enjoyed it, it was worth the $0.25 investment, but not one I would read again, so I will be passing it on.

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green.  This is a book my daughter started reading in English last year, but they ran out of time and did not finish.  We finally got it from the library so she could complete it, which she did, and she highly recommends it, so it is next.

On My TV
The remake of "Footloose" from Netflix.
Watched "Harry Potter" 7B last night.  We are avid Harry Potter fans in this house.  We have two copies of every book, plus a digital copy, and every movie.  We have read and watched each several times.  After watching the last movie, I want to start reading all of the books again.  JK Rowling is a magnificent writer. She is funny, interesting, and the end of each of her chapters leaves you wanting to go on to the next.

On the Menu for This Week
I don't know!  I have to look through the DASH diet for suggestions and figure it out. Am trying to change my eating due to a high blood pressure reading at the doctors last week.  Hopefully it will be a lot of grilled lean meats and fruits and veggies.  Will share when I come up with some good recipes.

On My To Do List
It's a long one.  Dermatologist appointment for my daughter tomorrow. Mammogram for me on Friday. Vacuuming and mopping floors, menu planning and grocery shopping, the usual housework items. I also have a stack of paperwork to register our foster son for high school that I cannot fill out without his social worker.  DCF is his legal guardian, so it gets pretty complicated.  I will also be spending this week trying to get my computer back in order. It was infected with a virus so after trying a few things, I reset it to its factory settings and now have to update and reinstall a bunch of stuff.  Oh, and I got up at 5 am to bring three boy scouts to camp for 6 am.

What I am Creating
Between reading up on the DASH diet, coming up with healthy recipes, and filling out the high school paperwork, that's all I have time for!

Homemaking Tip
A strawberry huller works great to remove pieces of eggshell from a cracked egg.  You can also use it to remove the white squiggly things from the yoke.  You need the kind with the rounded tips, like this one:

Looking Around the House
The sun is shining on the deck outside my window. My daughter is sitting on the couch workin on her AP Psych summer work. Other than that, it is quiet. The house is a bit of a mess, with this paperwork piled on my kitchen table, and having a picnic here on Saturday, the floors need to be cleaned. But, it is calm and peaceful, and I am enjoying it.

From the Camera
I no longer have my files on my computer, so this will have to wait.

On My Prayer List
always my kids, my huband

Bible Verse
Romans 1:16:  "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: For it is the power of God unto salvation for everyone that believeth"



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a busy week :) Hope all the appointments go well.

    Great tip on the huller.

    ReplyDelete