September 27, 2012

Chicken and Rice - Super Easy but Partially Processed Version

Chicken and rice should be easy. But let me tell you a little story. It was several years ago. We had gotten a dog from the local animal shelter that day. My husband was flying out of state the following morning. The dog was skittish and kept going to the bathroom in the house. I was completely clueless about training dogs (still am) and kept taking him outside to go to the bathroom, leaving my 2 year old in the house unattended. The dog would grab onto the leash with his mouth and play tug-of-war.

It was not a good night. 

I made chicken and rice in the oven.

The rice didn't cook properly.

My husband was sick on the airplane the next day.

I did not attempt chicken and rice again.

Until last Friday when I was asked to make a dish for my women's group. I was given the recipe. I followed it precisely. It took twice as long to cook as the directions claimed.

Why would I attempt chicken and rice again?  I don't know.

But I did last night.

Now do not make fun of me for waffling, as I am known to do. This dish has one can of cream of chicken soup in it. And a packet of onion soup mix I know, I know. I am still trying to wean off processed foods, but if you have read my Happy Homemaker Monday posts then you know that I am a little busy. So, instead of trying the from scratch version I referenced above, I went to this version from AllRecipes.com:


It was delicious.

The chicken was sooooo moist. And everything was tasty. Yum.

So here it is for my future reference and yours:

Easy Chicken and Rice

1 C uncooked rice
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 7/8 C water
1 package onion soup mix
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

spread rice on bottom of 9x13 baking pan
place chicken breast on top of rice
mix cream soup and water, pour over chicken
sprinkle with onion soup mix
cover with foil
bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours

remove from oven and serve

*We returned the dog to the shelter the next day and got a kitten instead.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good :)

    You should give my Portuguese Chicken and Rice a try, I think you would like it :)

    http://fullbellies.blogspot.com/2008/01/portuguese-chicken-and-rice.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from Los angeles! I'm bored at work so I decided to browse your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the info you present here and can't wait to take a look when I get home.
    I'm amazed at how fast your blog loaded on my mobile .. I'm
    not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, fantastic
    blog!

    Visit my weblog raspberry ketone diet

    ReplyDelete