October 24, 2013

Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes


(image courtesy of http://www.cookingclassy.com)

This recipe came from 


  • 4 pounds ground beef
  • 1 C chopped onion
  • 1 C chopped green bell pepper
  • 1 (28 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 2 cans condensed tomato soup
  • 1/4 -1/3 C packed brown sugar (The original recipe calls for 1 whole cup but I cut it back to a little under 1/2 and think it could still use less.)
  • 1/4 C ketchup
  • 3 T Worcerstershire sauce
  • 1 T dry mustard
  • 1 T prepared mustard
  • 1 1/2 t chili powder
  • 1 t garlic powder
Cook beef in skillet in batches over medium-high heat until no longer pink, drain fat.
Add onion and green pepper to the pan and cook 5 minutes
Transfer meat mixture and vegetables to slow cooker and add remaining ingredients, stir well
Cover, cook on LOW 4-6 hours

My kids had this the traditional way on rolls, but I also made rice and my husband and I ate it over rice (it is a bit saucy, but that might be because I was 1/4 pound shy of 4 pounds of ground beef). I thought this would make so much (recipe says it serves 20-25 people) that I would be freezing a couple meals' worth, but we ate a lot of it that night, and are slowly eating the rest this week.

You could easily just finish cooking this on the stove, but I needed the slow cooker option because we were eating at different times that night.

Very tasty! I am making more rice and having some for lunch today : )




No comments:

Post a Comment