October 29, 2013

Vegetable Pasta Sauce


This recipe originated from the Rival Crock Pot Cook Book, but I didn't care for the result as the vegetables were too mushy from all of that cooking. So I adapted it for the stove, which I had been meaning to do for a long time, and good things come to those who wait, right? I think so, because this was delicious in our (mine and my husband's) opinions! I made a couple of more changes, but this is a very versatile recipe. Put in what you want, but I really liked what I put in, AND, I think the peppers are what gave this sauce its divine flavor, so keep that in mind.

2  14 1/2 oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1  14 1/2 oz can whole tomatoes, undrained
2 14 1/2 oz cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 6 oz can tomato paste
4 green onions, sliced
2 T dried Italian seasoning
1 t dried parsley
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
splash of olive oil
1 yellow squash, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 green squash (zucchini), cut into 1/4 inch slices

Combine and simmer all ingredients in a pot for an hour, covered, BUT, don't add the squash until the last 20 minutes. Stir occasionally, breaking up the whole tomatoes as you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment