January 23, 2013

Vegetarian Bean Soup

The name of this soup, love this, is

Oh! Good! Soup!
(This is not the soup I made, but it looks a lot like it. Photo courtesy of Betty Crocker.)

and comes from the book Fix It and Forget It Lightly on page 194.  I did change it a little, and would like to change it more the next time I make it, and there will be a next time!

This is a healthy soup, and does not call for a lot of seasonings, nor does it have any meat or bouillon, so at first taste I thought it was a little bland, but after a few bites the natural flavors of the ingredients come out, and your tongue begins to appreciate the taste. Having said that, the original recipe calls for hot sauce, but next time I will replace the hot sauce with some salsa. Other than that, and the fact that I did not choose low sodium canned tomatoes, I wouldn't change a thing, unless I do, like maybe adding some thyme.

2 cups mixed, dried beans
2 1/2 quarts water
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
28 oz can diced tomatoes
red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
several drops hot sauce @ 1 C salsa
1 cup brown rice, uncooked
1 cup assorted small pasta, cooked (I did not have room for this, and don't think it is necessary, perhaps because my bean mix had some barley in it)

Soak beans 2-6 hours overnight, drain
place beans in slow cooker
cover with 2 1/2 quarts water
cover and cook on high 2 hours
add all remaining ingredients (except pasta, if you are using it)
add water to cover if needed
cook on high 4-6 hours, low 8-10

Instead of having just bread and butter with this, I made a cheese quesadilla. All of the cheese kind of counteracts the healthy aspect of the soup though.

No comments:

Post a Comment