July 20, 2012

Delicious Triple Chocolate Cake

I use quite a few recipes from a book titled Remedies For the "I Don't Cook" Syndrome. I thought it would be a cookbook of some very basic recipes, but I was surprised that it really is a collection of special recipes. Recipes that make the kinds of foods that people remember you by when you bring them to potlucks.

Today is cool and rainy, and so I felt like baking something yummy, however, I am out of vanilla! What baked good worth anything is made without vanilla? So I went searching through my pantries (I have a second one in the basement for the things we stock up on) and found a chocolate cake mix, and instant pudding mix.  I knew I had sour cream.  I looked up the recipe, and Yes! I had all of the ingredients.

The recipe is actually called Infallible Chocolate Chip Cake in the cookbook, but that gives no indication of just how wonderful it is.

Here we go:



1 C sour cream   (you really don't want to indulge in licking too much of the batter when you are done - it is pretty rich because of the sour cream)

1/3 C oil (I use canola for all of my baking)

1/3 C water

4 eggs

1 (18.25 ounce) package chocolate cake mix (the regular size boxes - and I use devil's food)

1 (3 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix

1 (12 ounce) package chocolate chips (I use two cups, because I buy the huge bags of chocolate chips at my warehouse store)

Basically you mix it all together (mix in chips after everything else is mixed) and "pour" it into a bundt pan (make sure you grease and flour it first) and bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.

Now, to make it easier on yourself, put the eggs (cracked, of course!), oil, water, and sour cream in a large bowl and whisk together until mixed.  Then, add the cake and pudding mixes and stir with a spoon or a spatula. Then add the chocolate chips.  

Just look at that chocolaty goodness


The directions say to pour batter into pan, but really you have to spoon it in because it is so thick.



I suggest dusting the cake pan with cocoa powder instead of flour since this is a chocolate cake and you do not need to frost it.

The last step is to sprinkle powdered sugar on the top once you have taken it out of the pan.  I suppose you can make a drizzle of some kind, but it is a pretty rich cake and that may be too much?

The white is from powdered sugar, not flour.


He would kill me if he knew I posted this, shhh.


Everyone wants some.


1 comment:

  1. This recipe looks VERY good! My kids would love it... especially my 15 yr old son... if the word chocolate is in the name he will eat it! I need to get another bunt cake pan. I used mine all the time when i had one.

    ReplyDelete