July 27, 2012

Next Week's Menu, Up Already!

photo courtesy of Kalyn's Kitchen

I did not have to come up with a menu for this week. Everyone is away except for me and my oldest, who is almost 19 and tries to be out of the house at all times. So, this week was my vacation. And I ate out all week. I didn't actually intend to, but that's how it worked out. Tonight will be pizza rolls or something like it that is lurking in my freezer. I'm kind of done with the eating out thing for now. Where did I go and what did I eat, you ask? Well, I'll tell you! (It is actually just myself that is asking, probably a few weeks from now when I can no longer remember.)

Monday was Friendly's, which I had just been to the week before and really didn't have a desire to go to but my son wanted to. Yes, he took some advantage of my vacation. I got a BLT with fries and an ice cream sundae, of course.

Tuesday was Duchess for a bacon cheeseburger and fries (that I did not eat). Hey, I didn't say it was fancy eating all week.

Wednesday was the Cheesecake Factory - this indulgence was planned. I always get the same thing. I love it so much that I cannot waiver to try all of the other amazing things on their menu. I get Barbecue Ranch Chicken Salad. And I always bring at least half of it home. And cheesecake. This time it was the plain cheesecake with cherry topping. I brought one home for my son, because I'm nice like that.

Thursday was a day trip with my mom, so we ate at Cracker Barrel and we both had the turkey and dressing special.

The good thing about eating out all week, is that I am now looking forward to home cooked food, and spent last night browsing through one of my cookbooks.

Which reminds me, I have been finding menu planning overwhelming lately. I have so many cookbooks and almost don't know where to start. So for now, I am going to stick to one cookbook a week (unless my creative juices get flowing and I can handle multiple media again). So this week's menu is based mostly on Fix It and Enjoy-It! 

When it's grill season, the first thing I do is look up the weather forecast for the coming week. There is nothing worse for me than planning on grilling something for dinner and having it pouring rain. And around here, if it is going to rain, it will be in the late afternoon-early evening period. So my grilling days are based on the days with a low chance of rain. (Once I had a flank steak and threw it in the crock pot because it was raining, and it was delicious. It didn't come out as stringy as a bottom round roast does.  So sometimes good things happen when my plans are messed up. Only sometimes though.)

That was a long introduction.  Here we go:

Sunday -  Grilled London Broil, baked potatoes, broccoli, and fresh cherries
Monday - Grilled chicken with rice and green beans, watermelon
Tuesday - Grilled tuna steaks, orzo & corn salad, corn on the cob, sliced cantaloupe
Wednesday - Grilled ham steaks, pineapple, coleslaw, mashed sweet potatoes
Thursday - Spaghetti, chicken sausage, salad, strawberries
Friday - leftover day
Saturday - family cookout/birthday celebration.  Hamburgers, hot dogs, sauteed onions, corn on the cob, pasta salad, fruit salad, cake, milkshakes

I love including fresh fruit on my menu.  That one of the blessings of summer. I cannot wait. I will be trying various marinades and sauces from the cookbook, and will post the ones that we liked. If I don't care for it, I don't post it, because I only want a record of recipes that I want to keep on here. I do, however, write notes in my cookbooks; and if I want to make it again, it gets recorded on here and in an index file I keep on my counter.

Now I have to go through the recipes and write up my shopping list.

No comments:

Post a Comment