October 29, 2020

Emergency Dinner 1: Pasta and Veggies

 


When I asked the Lord what He would have me do at this time in my life, His answer was to learn about and practice emergency preparedness food storage. My classroom is Inklings Institute on Instagram.

Task number one is to compile a food plan and the resources for two weeks of meals. Thanks to Covid-19, all of this makes sense. If we are exposed we have to quarantine for two weeks. When the reality of Covid first hit, I got myself to the warehouse store and bought food to get me through two weeks. We would have been eating oatmeal, peanut butter and jelly, bagels, and chicken and rice with frozen veggies for two weeks. Certainly not the worst thing in the world, but now I can plan out a bit of variety.

The problem with food storage is that you have to use it even if there is not an emergency, or you will have wasted food and money. This is another reason for planning for meals that you are willing to eat!

Inklings Institute advises us to come up with seven dinners, lunches, and breakfasts and then double it to have two weeks of meals planned and ready to make. I am formulating an organizational plan for storing these items and a plan to use and rotate them so that the food does not go to waste.


Dinner #1 Amounts are for one dinner, based on what my husband and I will eat, with the possibility of leftovers for lunch

Pasta and Veggies

  • 0.5 - 0.75 pounds pasta
  • 1 jar marinara sauce
  • 1 pound bag of frozen peppers and onions
  • 1 pound bag of frozen broccoli
  • 1 can beans (chickpeas, kidney, cannellini, or black)
Another option is instead of having beans, add 1 pound of cooked ground beef from the freezer, but this would have a shorter shelf life.

No comments:

Post a Comment